Food Blog Attempt - Penang

1

Written on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 by Jason Wee

5 - 7, Cititel Penang, 2kg put on. 

First stop - Ipoh. You know there's this fat Hong Kong food host? Well, he ate here before. And the taugeh was really nice, according to family. Chicken wasn't that good. Kuetiau was normal.





Still at Ipoh, we got recommended a Tau Fu Fa shop nearby which was in fact, REALLY GOOD. So so soft you can fly up to a funny mountain :) 



Missed a picture of it in a bowl.  We then headed to Penang, and visited my mum's old house.

Yes, this is it. Raised to the ground and turned into a parking lot :( 

After we checked in, we went to search for some cendol :) Which we knew we hit gold when we saw such a big crowd in an alley. 


It was so busy that I couldn't get a photo of the cendol I ate cause we had to take it fast. It was actually pretty nice, but they did it so fast until there wasn't really enough ice :( 

We then went into the shop next to it, which was selling Char Koay Teow and Lobak. CKT wasn't that good. Lobak was nice and juicy. 



For dinner, we went to a must in Penang, Gurney Drive. Honestly I can't remember going there when I was young. 


Food we ordered : 

Grilled sting ray, which was just okay okay only. Nothing special. 

Fried oyster. Well there wasn't much oyster in it. It was mostly fried egg. But the egg was just PERFECT. Must try! :D 

Raw octopus. Err.. I didn't eat this. 

Rojak. Mum said it was average. 

Saw this in a store. Dad didn't want to try :( HAHA. 

Satay was very meaty! And the bacon was NICE. 

I like this shot! Doesn't it look like some ad? :D The CKT at Gurney wasn't nice. Chow Yang's CKT was still top at the moment. 

So 2 CKTs has been tried, but nothing can beat our own PJ CKT? Well, a must try in Penang, goggle aunty CKT!

As you can see, the aunty wears some goggles to fry. She's located in Lorong Selamat, right at the corner. It's the same row as Tune Hotel. There's this other uncle who tries to copy the goggle wearing thing, but his CKT isn't that nice, according to recommendations. 

The normal waiting time during busy hours is 1 1/2 hours. But we went around 3, but we still had to wait for 45 minutes -.- But it was worth the wait!

Look at the size of those prawns! The taste and starchyness of the koay teow was soo good :) Verdict - beats Chow Yang! MUST TRY. 

Then for dinner, we went to this nasi kandar street store. Apparently it was supposed to be very good. Verdict? 


Kayu beats it anytime. While I was eating, there was this ANNOYING CAT that was begging me for some food. I MEAN IT'S EYES. For a moment I just wanted to give it some of my chicken and make it go away. In the end, my dad had to chase it away for me. HAHA. 

For our 2nd dinner (pfft), we went back to Gurney, cause we haven't tried a lot of things there yet. And my mum wanted some rojak! 

From another store. But my mum says it still can't beat DJ's. 

Also, pasembur which was really hard. But the next one I LIKE. 

MUAR CHEE! And it was still warm when I was eating it! NOM NOM NOM. 

My dad had bubur cha cha, but it wasn't that attractive. So yes, my attempt at food blogging! Er.. hope you enjoyed? 

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

1 Comment

  1. JΞMS£Ɲ |

    The Goggle Aunty CKT looks really delicious. I must trylah! But don't know when only got chance to visit Penang. Another 20 days school going to reopen. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and family :)

     

Post a Comment